Saturday, July 3, 2010

Crafty Friday #4

Sandcastles!!  Normally at this time of year we would all be heading to Michigan to build some real sandcastles at my Mom's cottage.  However nothing is getting this preggie girl into a car for 10 hours.  :)

So we made some fun sandcastles here at home with pretty colored sand instead.  The kids loved this project!  I think it was their favorite one so far.  Definitely messy, certainly fun.  They got to glue and shake and pour sand.  I'll probably find sand everywhere later, but that's ok.

We started by drawing pictures of castles onto cardboard.  (Cereal boxes cut up, if you want to know).  J had a little trouble, so H offered to help with his. He insisted that his was a Robot Castle, by the way.  No girly princesses for him, thankyouverymuch.

Next I outlined their drawing with glue.  Just good old Elmer's.

Then we poured and shook the colorful art sand in little trays.  They LOVED this part.  And it was pretty fun to see what they wanted to be each color.

Then I let them add more glue after their pictures were pretty full.  They also wanted to do another one right away so I let them just go to town with the glue without drawing first.  The free form ones were cute, too.  H informed us that hers was Confetti.
The final products turned out really pretty.  Not as fun as a real sandcastle at the beach, but pretty good for a Crafty Friday project!  :)

H's Castle and Sun.
J's Robot Castle.

I have a feeling I'll get a request to do this one again.  It was certainly a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment